Security or Software Development

burton4550

Beta member
Ok, so I am bouncing around like a beach ball at a rock concert trying to make my mind up on which degree to go for. I'm currently enrolled to start 09/14 for a bachelors in Software Development, but now I'm considering their degree for information technology and cyber security.

I could use some experts opinions and advice to help decide which one. It doesn't come down to which one I like the most, because I have a high interest both.

My other alternative I was considering was to get my bachelors in software development and while doing that get my certification in Network + , security + , ethical hacking and so forth

Is that a good idea, or should I just stick with one or the other?

I could use some experts opinions and advice to help decide which one. It doesn't come down to which one I like the most, because I have a high interest both.
Actually, it does. You may still need to know some programming for security (basic scripting and such) so it'd still be worthwhile to learn. Honestly, if you're just starting school...take classes on both. See which one you like more of and go with that.

My other alternative I was considering was to get my bachelors in software development and while doing that get my certification in Network + , security + , ethical hacking and so forth

Is that a good idea, or should I just stick with one or the other?

Not necessarily a bad idea, but you won't necessarily get a job in security just with certs.

I'm a software engineer (B.S. in Computer Science), and enjoy coding for the most part. Used to be in IT but got sick of it so moved onto software dev.

Actually, it does. You may still need to know some programming for security (basic scripting and such) so it'd still be worthwhile to learn. Honestly, if you're just starting school...take classes on both. See which one you like more of and go with that.

Not necessarily a bad idea, but you won't necessarily get a job in security just with certs.

I'm a software engineer (B.S. in Computer Science), and enjoy coding for the most part. Used to be in IT but got sick of it so moved onto software dev.

Thanks for the reply and advice. My original plan was to get an associates at ITT Tech online for Software Development, and then go to the University Of Illinois for a bachelors in CS.

I think for now I'll just stick with getting a bachelors in Software Development and some certs so I can at least get a job in the IT field and grow from there.

I just got certified in Comptia A+ a few weeks ago (doesn't say much) but it's a start.

How is the job market for programmers compared to security? That was kind of one of the reasons I was considering switching my major to Cyber Security. From what I read online there is quite a high demand and will continue to grow. As with Software Development, a lot of stuff can just be out sourced overseas for pennies on the dollar.

How is the job market for programmers compared to security? That was kind of one of the reasons I was considering switching my major to Cyber Security. From what I read online there is quite a high demand and will continue to grow. As with Software Development, a lot of stuff can just be out sourced overseas for pennies on the dollar.

The cool thing, I think, about software development is you can make your own software and sell it on the App Store, Play Store, etc. You can literally make millions and you can do it on your own. You just need either a good idea or a something that will be stupid and catch the masses (like Flappy Bird). ;)

Both fields are pretty high in demand - I'd say security more at the moment due to all of the security/privacy concerns. But software dev is still pretty high in demand.

The cool thing, I think, about software development is you can make your own software and sell it on the App Store, Play Store, etc. You can literally make millions and you can do it on your own. You just need either a good idea or a something that will be stupid and catch the masses (like Flappy Bird). ;)
Don't need a degree to do that though :p.

Definitely wouldn't need a degree for that, there are so many sites offering to teach coding out there now.

The degree is a necessity for me though, as I want to be able to get a job somewhere. I'd do the apps and my own stuff on the side though :)

Sure don't, and it makes me wish I could code a stupid, crappy graphics, yet insanely addictive game and be rich... :lol:

I think the key to that is a combination of Alcohol + coding and going back to the imagination you had when you were 10 years old lol

Back
Top Bottom