Antenna Question

rhu1949

Daemon Poster
iphone 5. So my screen broke a while back and I took it to Apple to have it repaired. Their calibration machine was broken so they just gave me a new phone instead of making me go without for several days or wait blah blah blah. I had just started using straight talk and it was working well enough for my purposes. After getting the new phone I contacted ST and they changed my service to the new device. Phone works fine, as does wifi but my phone will not access data. I contacted ST and they read through their script multiple times and then told me that I was SOL. I tried the Apple store and they tell me that the phone is functioning properly and everything is turned on the way that it should be. Does anyone have any idea WTH is wrong with my phone? I figure if the antennas that receive wifi and phone service work properly then the data reception should work also. I really like the cost with ST, but it doesn't work at present. I don't want to use Verizon because it is at least twice as much as ST and I had years of trash service with AT&T. Any ideas? Thanks much.

Have you tried doing a factory reset on it to see if that gets it working?

The Wifi/cell chips are different, so just because one is working doesn't mean the other is working.

I have reset it. Multiple times. I didn't know that about the chips. So I guess that it is a possibility even though the phone works the data is screwed. They offered to replace the phone but I was so sick of going through setting things up that I decided to wait for the time being. I may try that. Thanks for the info.

Sounds to me like the problem lies with Straight Talk. If data worked on your previous phone and Apple says your new phone works fine, ST is your culprit.

I don't know how to verify that there isn't an issue with the antennae. I've spent hours on the phone with ST and can't find anyone that won't just read from their three step script.

Example conversation:

I explain that my data isn't working.

"Reset phone, dial *290, your phone should automatically reset and your data should work..."

I have done that six times already.

"Your phone is correctly provisioned."

It must not be.

"There is nothing we can do to help you."

It is very annoying, but I have just resigned myself to the fact that Verizon will be taking my blood each month to pay for their service.

You might try googling "Straight Talk iPhone 5 no data"

It appears there are lots of entries on fixes and causes.

Most of the "solutions" require multiple SIM cards that I don't have.

Back
Top Bottom