Hotmail Hacked

Pezzy

In Runtime
Hi all.

I've had the same Hotmail account for something like 15+ years.

The other day, I typed in my e-mail address & password, and this message comes up that my account may have been accessed without my knowledge (in other words: hacked!!).

At first, I thought this "message" was some kind of "hoax", that I mis-typed something wrong, and was redirected to some phony phishing site.

So I cleared my browser, closed it out, and even launched a different browser (Firefox instead of IE), but the same message popped up. I had a security code then sent to me (choices of an alternate e-mail address I had provided.....phone number....text message....).

Anyway, I logged in, changed my password, and there was a tutorial there for me of some suggestions of what to do to prevent this in the future (have a firewall, anti-virus software.....all of which I already have).

I looked at my Inbox, and there were a few e-mails that were the "bounce back" type: you know, return to sender/ undeliverable. I opened them, and they were some kind of SPAM e-mails with some kind of online dating offer. They were sent "To" some names/ addresses of people that are prior addressees of mine (about maybe 10 names/ addresses).

I checked my Sent Bin, and there were just two (2) e-mails sent (with those 10 or so names).

I checked all my various boxes/ folders, and nothing appears to have been messed with (I have things saved in Drafts, and even customized/ created a few personal folders).

What do you think? Was this some "bot" program that got into my account?

Or, if it was an actual person, was it a "brute force" attack to get in? And if so, why just send out two e-mails with an on-line dating offer? And not mess with any of my other e-mails there by deleting them?

And how did Microsoft/ Hotmail know my account had been compromised? Do you think there were multiple attempts before they finally got in?

Over 15 years with this account.....and this is a first for me :silly:

So.....I'm just curious as to "how"; any ideas?
Pez

Hi all.

I've had the same Hotmail account for something like 15+ years.

The other day, I typed in my e-mail address & password, and this message comes up that my account may have been accessed without my knowledge (in other words: hacked!!).

At first, I thought this "message" was some kind of "hoax", that I mis-typed something wrong, and was redirected to some phony phishing site.

So I cleared my browser, closed it out, and even launched a different browser (Firefox instead of IE), but the same message popped up. I had a security code then sent to me (choices of an alternate e-mail address I had provided.....phone number....text message....).

Anyway, I logged in, changed my password, and there was a tutorial there for me of some suggestions of what to do to prevent this in the future (have a firewall, anti-virus software.....all of which I already have).

I looked at my Inbox, and there were a few e-mails that were the "bounce back" type: you know, return to sender/ undeliverable. I opened them, and they were some kind of SPAM e-mails with some kind of online dating offer. They were sent "To" some names/ addresses of people that are prior addressees of mine (about maybe 10 names/ addresses).

I checked my Sent Bin, and there were just two (2) e-mails sent (with those 10 or so names).

I checked all my various boxes/ folders, and nothing appears to have been messed with (I have things saved in Drafts, and even customized/ created a few personal folders).

What do you think? Was this some "bot" program that got into my account?

Or, if it was an actual person, was it a "brute force" attack to get in? And if so, why just send out two e-mails with an on-line dating offer? And not mess with any of my other e-mails there by deleting them?

And how did Microsoft/ Hotmail know my account had been compromised? Do you think there were multiple attempts before they finally got in?

Over 15 years with this account.....and this is a first for me :silly:

So.....I'm just curious as to "how"; any ideas?
Pez

We're not really allowed to discuss any type of hacking/cracking on this website, but one thing I can tell you is the majority of "hackers" that exist hack purely for sport. And if there were any attacks such as one you mentioned, I'm sure the multiple attempts would be detected.

We're not really allowed to discuss any type of hacking/cracking on this website, but one thing I can tell you is the majority of "hackers" that exist hack purely for sport. And if there were any attacks such as one you mentioned, I'm sure the multiple attempts would be detected.

You're not allowed to discuss how to hack/crack. Preventing said activities are fine ;).

Anyway, actually a majority of the hackers out there do it for profit rather than sport nowadays. Botnets, phishing, etc. is used to deliver spam email to either get you to click on ads, enter credit card info to steal info, etc.

Here is an idea on how, contact Hotmail support and ask them the details on the information about the access to the account. That will tell you everything you need to know.

Back
Top Bottom