I was hacked!

Nayfnayf

Beta member
Last week my origin account was hacked, the password and username were changed, someone key logged me. I managed to get my account back, but soon after that my computer started doing strange things like the task bar stopped working and desktop shortcuts moved around, then the network card driver was deleted. I then formatted my C: drive and installed Windows, but didn't format the E: drive as it had 600 Gb of games on it, (no way I wanted to download them again.) the problem of the desktop shortcuts moving around still persisted, I then formatted the C: AND E: drives and reinstalled Windows again. Now the desktop shortcut for the Witcher 3 has moved from the very bottom left side of the monitor to the top of the second column of the desktop, and the bit defender desktop widget moved from the bottom right of the screen to just left of the centre of the screen. I don't know what to do, I thought formatting the drives would fix this mess, but there could be a chance that nothing is wrong as well and I am just going insane noticing all these things because I was hacked.

That's not really evidence of you being hacked - more like the Windows Desktop Manager just not placing your icons consistently (happens to me occasionally).

Have you run malware scans to verify?

Firstly, run a scan with Malwarebytes Antimalware (the Free version is fine, you don't need to activate the Pro trial). Scan with it, delete whatever it finds, reboot and post the log here. Download it from here:
https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/

Secondly, run a scan with AdwCleaner. Same as above, scan with it, delete what it finds, post the log file here. Download from here:
AdwCleaner Download

Thirdly, run a scan with HiJackThis. Run it as Admin, pick the "scan and generate log" option, and then post the logfile here. Do NOT remove ANYTHING unless told to do so, as removing the wrong entry can damage your system. Download it from here:
HiJackThis | SourceForge.net

That's not really evidence of you being hacked - more like the Windows Desktop Manager just not placing your icons consistently (happens to me occasionally).

I forgot to mention that when I log on I get an error message that says the Desktop window manager has stopped working, is that the cause of the icons moving?
I'll have to run those programs in the morning as my girlfriend is using the computer now, thanks so much for your help.

I forgot to mention that when I log on I get an error message that says the Desktop window manager has stopped working, is that the cause of the icons moving?
I'll have to run those programs in the morning as my girlfriend is using the computer now, thanks so much for your help.

Yep, definitely the cause of the icons moving. The Desktop Window Manager is what manages your screen space and desktop. So if that crashes, it "reverts" your icons to "original" positions - not necessarily ones you set.

Back
Top Bottom