Malware/spyware question

Hi Norton is still around!! See if Search Everything can find left behind files. Just type Norton in the search bar at the top of Search Everything. You can left click and delete any files it finds!
Downloads
Please post a screen shot of the files that Search Everything finds before you delete them!!

In the meantime tho while this is finishing up scanning.. Basically I just need to burn the drivers for my comp on a disk.. Plop the windows 7 disk in install on the right drive.. Install all the drivers and that's it.. For a fresh install right.. I kno this isn't the right thread to ask but.. I think we're almost outa all options here

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
Yes sir !! That should work. It's your thread and you can ask any question you want. MHO is Norton is eating up your HDD free space. If you want to keep trying, you could reinstall Norton and then use the uninstall tool to remove it.
A fresh install might be the way to go at this time.
I know I said I was gone, but I'm a survivor and I don't have enough sense to give up:lol:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz0hBDuBdQFRMHd5YmtjOFRWMjA/view?usp=docslist_api

And it's up.. So I'm gunna try avira one more time now in safe mode.. Hopefully combo got whatever malware off so avira won't get hanged up

Definitely looks promising - removed a lot of junk, that's for sure.

Weird.. I ran that Norton removal tool and still look

Before you uninstalled Norton 360 and ran Norton Removal Tool, did you make sure and delete the backups through the interface? If not...you'll probably just have to manually delete that entire N360 folder (should be fine to delete manually). That should restore your free space at least.

In the meantime tho while this is finishing up scanning.. Basically I just need to burn the drivers for my comp on a disk.. Plop the windows 7 disk in install on the right drive.. Install all the drivers and that's it.. For a fresh install right.. I kno this isn't the right thread to ask but.. I think we're almost outa all options here

Download all the drivers from each manufacturers' sites for each individual components to get the latest drivers possible - either put those on a flash drive and burn them to a disc. Make sure to backup any data you want to keep on an external drive or burn to discs. Then pop in the disc and format / reinstall. Then once booted up, install all the drivers: chipset, video, audio, ethernet, wifi (if applicable), and any software utilities that you need.

Hi ComboFix got rid of a lot of stuff. Nice work carnage. I'm now a believer in Combofix. I'm thinking you're almost there. Once Norton is out of your life, you should be good to go.
Then think about creating a back up image of your OS and next time just use that image to restore your PC.
Nice work carnage! Sorry if I got in your way!
Gary!

Hi ! I don't think the Op is going to be confused if I ask this question. I think the OP is on his way to solving his problem. I'm always trying and wanting to learn new things that will help me help the seniors here in my retirement village. I have always been warned that ComboFix can brick your PC if you haven't spent 18 months in a malware college taught by Bleeping Computer or some of the other sites that train malware fighters. Here's my question! I know that my PC is 99.99 % free of infections, but what if I wanted to scan my PC with ComboFix just to make sure I'm clean? Should I worry that ComboFix might brick my PC , and none of 15 images I have of my OS on a external drive couldn't get be back from a ComboFix brick. Malware fighters are over rated and there day in the son has came and gone.
Nice work carnage! I'm thinking You-Got -er-Done my friend!!
Gary!!

Avira completed the scan thankfully.. Here's the log

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz0hBDuBdQFRLS10SEdIWlVvcDg/view?usp=docslist_api

So hopefully now I'm in the clear.. Only thing I'm thinking now maybe my browser (Firefox) might still be alil hi jacked.. Is there any scanners to scan my browser? Or uninstall /re install might help... Thanks again for all the help everybody appreciate it 😊

Hi ! I don't think the Op is going to be confused if I ask this question. I think the OP is on his way to solving his problem. I'm always trying and wanting to learn new things that will help me help the seniors here in my retirement village. I have always been warned that ComboFix can brick your PC if you haven't spent 18 months in a malware college taught by Bleeping Computer or some of the other sites that train malware fighters. Here's my question! I know that my PC is 99.99 % free of infections, but what if I wanted to scan my PC with ComboFix just to make sure I'm clean? Should I worry that ComboFix might brick my PC , and none of 15 images I have of my OS on a external drive couldn't get be back from a ComboFix brick. Malware fighters are over rated and there day in the son has came and gone.
Nice work carnage! I'm thinking You-Got -er-Done my friend!!
Gary!!
Yes and no - I wouldn't use it as a general scanning utility. It's a bit too powerful for that. It's used specifically to remove malware if you know/think you have a tough malware infection that nothing else has been able to remove.

I've been using it as part of my toolkit for like 7 years...and haven't bricked a PC yet. Only time anything remotely close happened was when there was an outbreak of infections that hijacked a system driver essential for the system to work - ComboFix removed it and prevented the system from booting, but I just had to copy the file from a known working system and boot into an Ubuntu LiveCD. Fixed it easy. Just all depends on what the infection is, really.

Avira completed the scan thankfully.. Here's the log

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz0hBDuBdQFRLS10SEdIWlVvcDg/view?usp=docslist_api

So hopefully now I'm in the clear.. Only thing I'm thinking now maybe my browser (Firefox) might still be alil hi jacked.. Is there any scanners to scan my browser? Or uninstall /re install might help... Thanks again for all the help everybody appreciate it 😊

Looks like Avira picked up some remnants as well, so that's good.

As for your browser, the scanners should have taken care of most of it...but double check the following:
Extensions -> make sure nothing is there that you haven't installed
Proxy settings -> Make sure it's not using one
Search Settings -> make sure your search settings aren't being hijacked
Homepage -> make sure it's not set to a malicious search engine

Would recommend giving another scan with Avira as well to make sure it comes back clean.

I agree with carnage here that Combofix is not the kind of program I would run to see what it finds. It is a tough resilient and even often too aggressive program that we should run only when we know there is a "Vundo" infection present.

OK Thanks everyone for the info about Combo Fix. Looks like it was the right answer to this problem. Don't think I'll be running it soon. My PC is clean and I have no problems.
This has been a interesting thread and I have learned some new things.
Gary!!

Came home to this error.. Gunna bow out lol it was fun fellas I learned alittle bit also... About how the drivers on my fresh install.. I need to install the drivers in a somewhat specific order right? I should jus open a new thread up in the right section.. Cause I'm prolly going to have a few more questions about this fresh install.. Unless someone is up for me pming them the questions 😁 whichever is cool

uploadfromtaptalk1439929380428.jpg

Back
Top Bottom