WinZip/WinRar

setishock

Wizard of Wires
Is any one using the latest version of WinRAR? If you are you may want to run a deep virus/malware scan. It has a payload.

attachment.php

Which version specifically?

What payload? Got any other sources / VirusTotal scans?

The rest of the scan by ESET was routine. Whining about locked system files and unable to open them. Nagging about corrupted zip files. Same stuff it nags about on each run.

As for other sources, all I have is the ESET run.
I got the software from a list windows has for opening a .rar file. I'll snag another .rar file and chase the link windows provides. It could be possible since it's open source software that some one piled on all the extra stuff. If you read the text in the image, it's a bunch of piled on crap.

Let me get cooking on chasing that link and I'll be back as soon as I find it.

WinRAR isn't open source. You get it from RARLabs: WinRAR archiver, a powerful tool to process RAR and ZIP files

So maybe you got a copy-cat software or something.

7Zip is the open source equivalent to WinRAR/WinZIP. However, there shouldn't be any pay loads in the official download site... That said, if you get ANYTHING from Sourceforge lately, expect the possibility of malware. I avoid Sourceforge whenever possible nowadays...which is sad, because it used to be such a great place for FOSS software.

As for the scanning, VirusTotal is an online scanner that uses ~50 virus scanning engines (including ESET) - it's a good tool to scan small files that aren't sensitive and you want to show that what you're sharing is virus free. More info here: https://www.virustotal.com/en/

Last edited:
I'll scope that out. Just a minute ago I had tricked windows in to giving me that list again. I tried to download winzip and ESET blocked it saying it contains PUPs and malware. So I may have got my wires crossed and tripped over them and put up the wrong item.

Anyway thanks for responding.

Back
Top Bottom