Would IT department sense KVM at work?

fishnet

Beta member
I am wondering if I were to use a personal computer at work using a KVM switch (and work keyboard, monitor, mouse), not using the work network/internet, would the IT/tech monitoring department be able to detect that something was not normal? If so, how likely would it be that they would look for this (pretty high security and monitoring)

Also, the work monitor is currently plugged into the work desktop by displayport chord - if I changed that to VGA because of the KVM, would this change be detected?

Thanks

I don't think they would detect it automatically, but I would guess they do an audit of the kit periodically, so they're quite likely to spot your PC when they walk past it and check the work gear.

Extremely unlikely that it would be caught without physically seeing it. That being said, you should ALWAYS ask permission from your IT staff before making ANY changes. If you don't, you run the risk of being reprimanded or worse if something goes wrong and it's linked back to you. Cover yourself!

Are you even suppose to have a personal laptop with you? If it's that secure that you're worried about the changes being detected, it sounds like you shouldn't be doing it.

Well KVMs switch one keyboard, one mouse, and one monitor between two PCs... if you're putting a new PC into your workplace network environment it is very easy to detect. It depends on the level of management your IT department has on its network. The actual KVM - no.

But im with these guys. If you don't think you should be doing it - ask or just don't.

Extremely unlikely that it would be caught without physically seeing it. That being said, you should ALWAYS ask permission from your IT staff before making ANY changes. If you don't, you run the risk of being reprimanded or worse if something goes wrong and it's linked back to you. Cover yourself!

Are you even suppose to have a personal laptop with you? If it's that secure that you're worried about the changes being detected, it sounds like you shouldn't be doing it.

Yea probably something I shouldn't be doing. But thanks for the response

Well KVMs switch one keyboard, one mouse, and one monitor between two PCs... if you're putting a new PC into your workplace network environment it is very easy to detect. It depends on the level of management your IT department has on its network. The actual KVM - no.

But im with these guys. If you don't think you should be doing it - ask or just don't.

It wouldn't be on the network, just on it's own

It wouldn't be on the network, just on it's own

Your IT team would have to make the final decision on that. I know some areas of our building we allow personal devices and other areas we don't. No personal devices are allowed on certain networks, either. I would definitely encourage you to ask. The worst they can say is no. Otherwise, there should be some reference somewhere that will tell you one way or another.

It could be construed as industrial espionage. In today's world environment security has been beefed up for a reason. The big question is, why do you want your personal computer at work? If security is that tight, it could be construed as industrial espionage. If charged you face federal jurisdiction as it's a major league felony crime. If convicted you could face up to 15 years in a federal pen.

Is it really worth it to have your own toys at work?

It could be construed as industrial espionage. In today's world environment security has been beefed up for a reason. The big question is, why do you want your personal computer at work? If security is that tight, it could be construed as industrial espionage. If charged you face federal jurisdiction as it's a major league felony crime. If convicted you could face up to 15 years in a federal pen.

Is it really worth it to have your own toys at work?

This.

Plus it would be introducing an outside element into the network. I work with POS systems and know just what havoc can be unleashed when something that should never have been on the network gets out into the network, especially if that network is a closed/sealed one. If your work has things locked down fairly tight then that means that they are controlling what comes into the network so they don't have to have as many counter-measures inside the network, i.e. antivirus software, etc. You may think your machine is clean but that need not be the case as I recently got to rebuild two servers that were KOed by a crypto virus that went undetected for at least two months.

Back
Top Bottom