Your Server Consolidation Process

Status
Not open for further replies.

CntdwnToExtn

Fully Optimized
So is anyone in the process (or even completed) their server consolidation process thanks to virtualization?

I've physically gone from 6 to 2 servers in the past year and able to separate roles into their own VM. The only thing left I need to move is my FTP, which I'm hoping to do near the start of Q4.

I'm running a combination of Server 2008 R2 w/ Hyper-V and VMware Server GSX.
Hyper-V is running on a custom built dual Opteron 6134 w/ 32gig RAM and 4 arrays of 1TB enterprise S-ATA drives in RAID 1
VMWare is running on an IBM x235 w/ dual Xeon Prestonia's, 4gig RAM and 6x146gig 15K SCSI drives in RAID 5.

So other than my FTP server my virtualization process is almost complete!

we're still waiting for our project to be initiated. currently, slated for q2 of 2011.

I'm curious as to why you've installed both vmware and hyper-v

Well VMware is kinda just hanging around on our 32-bit systems. It was the original install on all our x235's not to mention it was the only reliable software out at the time.
VMware 2.x was a huge disappointment IMO, not to mention didn't support Server 2008 R2 at the time. Haven't even checked to see if it does now.
ESX and ESXi required money which wasn't in the budget and was going to cause a problem with hardware monitoring on our custom built servers.

So Server 2008 R2 w/ Hyper-V was the next choice.
Hyper-V on our main system, VMware on our last x235.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom