Could PS4 pull ahead in the consoles war?

SouthParkFan1

Beta member
Let's admit it. The Xbox One doesn't really focus on gaming itself anymore. It's trying to bring all forms of entertainment, e.g television and movies into one device whilst allowing gaming to happen as well. Consequently the Xbox One is jammed with a lot of things a gamer wouldn't want to use or have on their device. For a person who watches movies and TV programs a lot and likes to occasionally game the Xbox One is perfect. But for a person who likes to game more than they watch TV the PS4 is the console that you'd go for. Heck, it was also as if Microsoft were trying to kill the aspect of gaming with some of their ridiculous DRM policies, like 24 hour sign ins and mandatory online gaming (which they later reversed.) It would be unfair to say that both devices haven't made hardware improvements, they have and have so on a major scale. Hardware wise there aren't really too many major differences between the two. But software wise and price wise, the PS4 pulls ahead, well for a gamer anyway. I personally will be buying the PS4 because I don't fancy buying a console which isn't designed specifically for gaming. Whilst it is needed for minor forms of entertainment to be present on a gaming system (like YouTube) I don't like the idea of it being turned into a home cinema system, it simply doesn't feel like it's a games console. The PS4, in my opinion, is cheaper and more gamer friendly then the Xbox One which is why it's won over a devout 360 fan. I honestly didn't expect Microsoft to do this type of a thing and I imagine that there won't be too many YouTube commentators playing the Xbox One.

Lets face it. The PS3 is not a gaming console itself. It can stream media from Netflix as well as several other apps including a music service offered by Sony themselves. That is not including the software made specifically for Media Streaming to the PS3. PS3 Media Server is software built to link your PC to your PS3 and stream your content.

So you can already watch movies on the PS3 and will be able to continue to do so on the PS4. Considering it was the main BluRay device for many people when it was first released.

So I fail to see how your argument that the inclusion of the TV aspect for the XBOX One makes it so much more different than the PS at all. Neither are true gaming consoles.

All consoles are multimedia devices now and not gaming consoles. Even the name of the PS3 says it all. Playstation 3 Entertainment System. They even brag about much of the same stuff you complain about with the XBOX 1.

PlayStation®3 System - PS3

Software wise, it doesn't pull ahead. How many people would love to have a call going at the same time as their game and not be disrupted? Using Skype and XBOX 1 you can. Using PS4, you cant.

As far as cost, nope. Sony doesn't include the Playstation Eye. So your $100 savings go away real fast when you have to purchase this add on to play many of the new games they are coming out with. So your $100 now goes down to less than $40 after purchasing the $60 add on. If you are into multiplayer, you now also have the additional charge of PS+, which people already prepare for with XBOX Live. But many people still neglect to admit that they will have to pay to play on PS now.

So a true gamer, will be very upset when they realize that the $100 savings on the console is gone and you are now actually spending more than the $399 advertised price. An additional $110 in costs, before taxes, is what people neglect to forecast into their cost predictions. In the end you only save about $30 from getting a PS4 over XBOX 1.

Just saying a real gamer would be using a PC over any console now a days. Most people that are into console gaming have their favorites. I operate XBOX 360, PS3 and Wii. I have favorites on all of them. But I am not kidding myself thinking that 1 of the new consoles is superior than the other. They both have their advantages and both have their disadvantages. Much like any car you purchase, the choice is all yours. Pick the one that has the options and features you want and enjoy.

Last edited:
Reading the OP's post, I was thinking the same thing KSoD basically pointed out (even the Blue-Ray thing), all consoles are now media focused and not just Xbox one. I am a very big gamer, some more hardcore than others. I also use the media stuff heavily, especially youtube and netflix (Lately HBOGO for Game of Thrones and others).

To be quite honest, I would actually love for my Xbox to be in the center of my entertainment area, hooked up to everything and anything to improve display and sound quality (bigger TV) and them focusing on media helps that.

Why? Because it does everything and I no longer need to put it in a bedroom on a smaller tv just to game. My gf or daughter want to watch a movie? I'll quit out of my game and search netflix or we can watch a youtube channel together.

Being able to do gaming and media is spreading its target audience. Gamers already know that it can do games. Those who don't play as much see it as just a 'gaming' console... Microsoft was simply trying to reach out to a larger consumer base, it is a normal business practice.

In all honesty, the moment the game consoles were able to play movies (ps2 and Xbox), I started using them for more than gaming. I am confident many did. Why people lashed at it being 'media' focused is beyond me. I can understand the backlash on DRM but being upset due to it having media features is ridiculous.

I would counter with, just avoid buying any games that require the PSeye and you still would save exactly $100. So what, you have to pay to play online, which is exactly what you have to do on the Xbox, except PS+ is exactly $10 cheaper than XBL gold.

Don't try to comeback with Sony making you buy a PSeye either, we all know Sony does not support any peripheral devices it comes up with. My move controllers, pseye and sharpshooter are painful reminders of that. M$ continues to support the Kinect and it will still have to be "Kinected" to your console in order for it to play games.

I am getting both systems so it doesn't really matter to me, but don't come off as unbiased and then spew your fanboisms. Obviously this was posted in the Playstation section for a reason I doubt the original poster was looking for a debate and was wanting some like minded discussion.

So before the headboy here gets wind that we said the word xbox in a playstation thread and moves this. Let me end with this. MS is moving towards a total digital media console, which the consumers resoundingly decried as foul. MS is going to have to prove to me that once their xbox one sales numbers have been met, they wont change the game mid generation.

You are right Cheezy, so why not completely stop making consoles?

I still play Nintendo 64 and have no complaints over the console.

You are right Cheezy, so why not completely stop making consoles?

I still play Nintendo 64 and have no complaints over the console.
That's because N64 is the ****, and the SNES before that was even more awesome :p

I bought an N64 to USB adapter just to play N64 games on my PC with a legit controller. Best 11 bucks ever spent (along with my PS2 adapter too).

I thought the GameCube may have been the perfect console. I cant imagine what the gaming landscape would be like today had Nintendo stuck to its gaming roots and didnt pander to the casual gamer

I thought the GameCube may have been the perfect console. I cant imagine what the gaming landscape would be like today had Nintendo stuck to its gaming roots and didnt pander to the casual gamer
I think about that any time somebody mentions the Wii. Think about how gaming would have been if the Playstation was never released :confused:

Back
Top Bottom