Favorite computer!

What type of computer do you like?

• Total voters
This is why it's difficult to have an adult conversation. People don't listen.

It wouldn't be a conversation if the adult was there and realized that you're paying for the name and name only ;) You practically said that in your first post, which I expanded on showing just that. It's also adult to set your pride aside and realize when you're just wrong buddy. Of course, because I'm posting facts and showing how you're wrong it's not being an adult? Sure, keep thinking that.

I never said it was cheaper. I said it isn't as far off as most folks think it actually is. The only inferior hardware is the HDD. The CPU should be bumped up to a Quad version, but I don't consider it inferior, either.
The CPU is vastly inferior. We're talking a 1.6GHz dual core compared to 3.2GHz+ quad cores for LESS money. The HDD is simply icing on the cake. You're talking to the one person you won't win an argument on with hardware, ever. From a hardware standpoint you literally are paying more for less. Period.

I already agreed that pre-built is cheaper than AIO. You say nobody needs 4k, but there are plenty of applications for such. Further, you should probably read up on Thunderbolt considering that Gigabyte and MSI are going to be picking up the port before calling it a step-child. Obviously, it still has the opportunity to fail, but as more manufacturer's are adopting it, it's probability of success goes up.
I have a 4k screen myself, I know what the capabilities are and the scaling in OSX is vastly superior but then we're talking an extra 400 bucks for a retina display and a machine that can't handle rendering + multitasking....... I also know quite a bit about Thunderbolt and know that for the past 3 motherboard generations 99% of the boards released don't have it AND the ones that support it require an add-in card due to the sheer lack of adoption. I also know that Thunderbolt 2 being 20Gb/s is limited to a 3 meter copper cable (because the optical is ****ing OP expensive) and most machines can't really handle that sheer amount of bandwidth. Daisy chaining is an argument, but we're talking use here. It's not very applicable and not much of an argument because the people who can afford to daisy chain Thunderbolt displays and HDDs can afford the high end Mac Pro.

We were discussing AIOs, and nothing else. Apple needs to refresh their hardware on entry level if they expect to keep up, specifically with the Mac Minis, which at one time would have competed with your example.
Macs have never competed on a hardware level with price to performance. I could strap a NUC onto a monitor and call it AIO for cheaper and still outperform a Mac.

Just because you don't use it doesn't mean that nobody uses it and as I already said it is being adopted more and more. Only the tinfoil hats tape over the cams, and I don't know but two of those type of folks. I already told you that it wasn't about winning or losing anything, merely discussing the options and showing that the price isn't as far off as you think. If you really feel like you have to be called a winner, then by all means I digress. Rekt? Childish.
I don't use it because it's an uncommon standard with USB3 being cheaper to adopt and widely available. Plus, there is almost literally nothing that requires 20Gb/s of bandwidth. This is the thought process of most tech savvy people looking at Thunderbolt. Don't get me wrong, it's an awesome standard but just like Firewire a bit ahead of it's time and too expensive to implement. You have to understand that on a fundamental level Thunderbolt is hard to warrant the cost to board manufacturers and peripheral creators because the hardware necessary is expensive. Just like PLX chips for high end boards. Plus, 5Gb/s and soon 10Gb/s from 3.1 is more than plenty for anything including high end SATA SSDs.

Dude, pretty much everybody covers cameras simply due to privacy (just look at all the hate Kinect got and still gets). Tin foil hat calling is as childish as saying rekt, but yes I do act a bit childing when people want to argue in favor of Apple when their points are all wrong. To me you're automatically ignorant if you don't admit that you pay for the Apple name. It's that simple.

Edit: Am I being a bit too harsh? I'd say so, but unless you have a specific reasoning to actually get a Mac there is no warrant other than personal preference to buy one. That's why I argue so harshly in favor of PC. So it's nothing against you personally, I just have to deal with the same crap at work and iterating the same points over and over again. It just gets old.

Last edited:
I've updated the poll to more accurately reflect our opinions.

LMAO NICE,

On a side note, PP your always arguing with someone... and you always bring up the "want to be a winner"... I think its you who wants to win on a debate all the time...

Last edited:
It wouldn't be a conversation if the adult was there and realized that you're paying for the name and name only ;) You practically said that in your first post, which I expanded on showing just that. It's also adult to set your pride aside and realize when you're just wrong buddy. Of course, because I'm posting facts and showing how you're wrong it's not being an adult? Sure, keep thinking that.
It's more your condescending attitude.

LMAO NICE,

On a side note, PP your always arguing with someone... and you always bring up the "want to be a winner"... I think its you who wants to win on a debate all the time...
This is pretty much what I was getting at. It's not about winning or losing or getting "Reckt." Sometimes, it's about being enlightened to a way of thinking that you haven't previously though about, because let's face it. You don't know everything. Nor do I. Nor does anybody in this forum.

Dude, pretty much everybody covers cameras simply due to privacy (just look at all the hate Kinect got and still gets). Tin foil hat calling is as childish as saying rekt, but yes I do act a bit childing when people want to argue in favor of Apple when their points are all wrong. To me you're automatically ignorant if you don't admit that you pay for the Apple name. It's that simple.

Edit: Am I being a bit too harsh? I'd say so, but unless you have a specific reasoning to actually get a Mac there is no warrant other than personal preference to buy one. That's why I argue so harshly in favor of PC. So it's nothing against you personally, I just have to deal with the same crap at work and iterating the same points over and over again. It just gets old.
Perhaps "tin foil hats" is childish, but I also believes that it accurately depicts the fear of technology and only applies to those who have progressed beyond the very fine line of well placed fear and overreaction. I apologize for the comment, either way.

You pay more for an Apple product because of the name when it comes to hardware. I have no problem admitting that and I'm not sure where keep getting that I said it was cheaper. I'm not going to repeat myself, however. There are other points to be made, such as not having to pay for OS upgrades (and yes, I'm ecstatic that Microsoft finally decided to the the same thing for once) and lower hardware failure rates (which is hard to prove since that stat is not tracked and market share is lopsided) and lower requirements to run software, but I will digress because you seem unwilling to factor in all of the costs except hardware (of which you are no doubt superior in knowledge). I'm not an Apple fan boy, believe it or not. Yes, I have a Mac but I still use Windows for most of what I do.

Mac isn't for everybody, just like Android or any other OS. It's based on what you need and what you're doing and what you want to be able to accomplish.

I hope you all have a safe and Happy Halloween! Or weekend if you don't celebrate.

LMAO NICE,

That would have been him replying to my admit defeat comment. Somebody wants to argue BS I got time. My first post clearly portrays how an iMac is not worth it. The rest is history, I'm never one to stand down to a hardware debate.

It's more your condescending attitude.

This is pretty much what I was getting at. It's not about winning or losing or getting "Reckt." Sometimes, it's about being enlightened to a way of thinking that you haven't previously though about, because let's face it. You don't know everything. Nor do I. Nor does anybody in this forum.

Perhaps "tin foil hats" is childish, but I also believes that it accurately depicts the fear of technology and only applies to those who have progressed beyond the very fine line of well placed fear and overreaction. I apologize for the comment, either way.

You pay more for an Apple product because of the name when it comes to hardware. I have no problem admitting that and I'm not sure where keep getting that I said it was cheaper. I'm not going to repeat myself, however. There are other points to be made, such as not having to pay for OS upgrades (and yes, I'm ecstatic that Microsoft finally decided to the the same thing for once) and lower hardware failure rates (which is hard to prove since that stat is not tracked and market share is lopsided) and lower requirements to run software, but I will digress because you seem unwilling to factor in all of the costs except hardware (of which you are no doubt superior in knowledge). I'm not an Apple fan boy, believe it or not. Yes, I have a Mac but I still use Windows for most of what I do.

Mac isn't for everybody, just like Android or any other OS. It's based on what you need and what you're doing and what you want to be able to accomplish.

I hope you all have a safe and Happy Halloween! Or weekend if you don't celebrate.
*Wipes tear* I love forum maturity.

I never said you said it was cheaper, I've been saying all along there's no point in getting an Apple besides buying into the name. That has been my deal all along, why spend more on inferior hardware for a name? Let's face it, when you buy a computer you're buying the hardware and that literally is the only thing that matters. It doesn't matter if you have the best software on the planet, if you have **** hardware it'll run like ****. Hence where my cheaper to buy a PC debate stemmed from. I've factored in costs, because hardware is all that matters. When you buy an OEM PC like the AIO HP machines or the Asus I linked the OS comes for free. All the other software still costs that we would debate with which runs better on the Mac or PC. Photoshop, Premiere/Final Cut, audio DAW, whatever. Sure the Mac will come with free OSX upgrades, but if you're saving idk 300 bucks while having better hardware you have to upgrade your machine less and can use that saved money later for a bigger SSD you can add to your machine easily, or buy the latest version of Windows in 3 years.

Mac isn't for anybody, it's only there for the people who prefer to use it. FTFY. For 99% of projects out there you can accomplish the same task cheaper and faster on a PC, and more so now that tech has gotten pretty stagnant in the CPU area. It makes pricing on better things like i5s lower making the hardware on the Mac very inferior at the same price to performance ratio.

That being said, I'm getting an iPhone 6s on the 3rd for ****s and giggles.

Where is Ubuntu? I would pick Ubuntu, if I has the option... Seriously, as soon as I dual-booted my PC with it, instantly fell in love... BTW it unleashed my UEFI BIOS. :D

Admit defeat, you're paying for the name. I have a 2015 iMac in my iLab with me and know the price, specs, and capabilities of it. I also know that it can be easily beaten by a similarly priced or cheaper PC.

Derp.

Sure you can build a more powerful computer for less than a Mac. You can build a garbage pail pc for $100 that will boot and run a benchmark.

That doesn't matter. Nobody builds DEVICES like Apple does and I'll gladly pay a premium for a well-designed, well-built device than build some flimsy led-laden block of a PC for a few bucks.

What's my favorite computer?
Mine.

Back
Top Bottom